Today’s guest blogger, on the subject of pirates, ninjas, and Batman, is YA author Dia Reeves! Dia’s book, Bleeding Violet, follows the story of a teenage girl teetering on the edge who runs away to find a new life in a new town, only to discover her new town is full of dark secrets and no one is safe.
1. If a pirate, a ninja, and Batman got in a fight, who do you think would win and why?
The ninja, because ninjas are stealthy. By the time the pirate or Batman noticed the ninja, they would be dead already.
2. Who’s your favorite pirate/ninja (in history or fiction)?
My favorite ninjas are the three holy fools from the movie Death Mask of the Ninja. Now, the three holy fools weren’t actually ninjas (they were Shaolin monks) but it still counts. The three holy fools were brothers who hurt so many people with their kung fu that the head monk forbid them to ever leave their house. But that totally didn’t slow them down. One of them managed to fight off a gripload of soldiers WITHOUT ONCE setting foot on the ground. Soooo cool.
3. Along that line, who’s your favorite movie Batman?
Erm…the first one?
4. What would be the best thing about being a pirate/ninja/Batman?
The best thing about being a ninja would be the ability to beat up a gang all by yourself and fly through the air and deflect bullets with your trusty katana.
5. Do you think there will ever be peace between pirates and ninjas? How do you think a truce would ever come about? Do you think Batman could negotiate the truce?
First of all, Batman is too self-involved with his billions of dollars and gorgeous women to bother with either ninjas or pirates. And ninjas and pirates don’t bother with each other. Pirates stay in their little boats and ninjas stay on land.
6. How would you end said truce and get the feud rolling again and how would you deal with Batman if he tried to interfere?
I guess if pirates came ashore onto ninja territory and didn’t show the proper respect, the ninjas would attack and five seconds later, the pirates would be toast. And if Batman interfered he would become jelly. And then the ninjas would have a nice little snack.
7. If you tripped and fell into a radioactive vat of cutlasses and gold dubloons and emerged as a pirate-themed supervillain, what would your superpower be?
The ability to see big black X’s not only on maps, but on the land itself.
8. If you stumbled a little farther to the left and fell into a radioactive vat of throwing stars and nunchucks and emerged as a ninja-themed supervillain, what would your superpower be?
The ability to kill whole armies with only my pinky.
9. If you were a pirate/ninja/Batman and found yourself in love with the enemy (i.e. a ninja/pirate or, say, Catwoman), how would you handle your taboo relationship?
I would teach whoever it was my ninja skills which would be so awesome, the enemy would give up everything to stay with me and learn more.
10. And finally, in the event of the Zombie-pocalypse, how would pirates/ninjas/Batman each survive?
Pirates would just stay out at sea—whoever heard of zombies who can swim? Batman would barricade himself in his mansion with one or two of his lady friends. And ninjas would stay out of the zombies’ reach by running along the treetops.